Barn Days 3 & 4

This is what they had finished by Friday afternoon.

This is what they had finished by Friday afternoon.

I got behind on posting barn pictures, I am sorry! The builders took the long weekend off and then they had to help out on another job for two days. Apparently their company had a very large roof to put on a building and needed everyone. I am hoping that means we will have extras here to put our roof on soon! 

This what they did today! I couldn't take a closer picture while they working, I don't want to bother them. ;) 

This what they did today! I couldn't take a closer picture while they working, I don't want to bother them. ;) 

I can't wait for it to be done! There are a few too many animals living in the garage now and it is starting to smell. Now that the birds can fly it is really hard to clean out the brooder.

A couple of weeks ago I hinted that I had a sewing project to share and I finally finished it last night! I made the kids sun hats, and they match!!! I was very excited when Lucy decided that she did want the same fabric as her brother's. She saw how cute their's were and wanted in. :)

I scored the awesome cows at this fantastic all-craft-supply thrift store we have near here.

I scored the awesome cows at this fantastic all-craft-supply thrift store we have near here.

The pattern is from the book Little Things To Sew by Oliver+S. Lucky for everyone the pattern is available for free on their site! It is a great pattern, but my advice is to go slowly with it; there are lots of curves and layers to get right. 

I am no photographer, but, if I do say so myself, my kids are pretty cute in their new hats! So, here are some pictures of them. :)

Did I say cute or did I say cute? 

Did I say cute or did I say cute? 

These hats really protect their faces from the sun...and the camera. 

These hats really protect their faces from the sun...and the camera. 

It gets VERY windy up here on the hill so I made sure to add a strap to the hats. The straps hook together with velcro so no one strangles themselves and they are long so that they don't irritate the kids' chins but they catch the hat from blowing away.

I just fit the straps right in between the layers.

I just fit the straps right in between the layers.

I made the straps with strips of fabric about an inch wide and 12 inches long, which I sewed into tubes. I pressed them flat then pinned them in at the side seams when I was sewing in the lining.

On the ends I folded over a half inch of the strap and sewed on skinny pieces of velcro. Make sure you do some extra stitches on those so that repeated velcro openings don't pull your stitches out. 

For Lucy's hat I followed this tutorial from Skirt As Top to make the brim wider. It is a simple adjustment with a big effect.

She lost her second tooth on Memorial Day!

She lost her second tooth on Memorial Day!

One more picture of my silly models.

Goofiness
Posted on May 30, 2013 .